Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Politics as usual

I've tried to avoid the coverage of the inauguration of President Obama as much as possible. Before someone shouts racism or sour grapes, I can't ever remember a time I've made it a point to watch any inauguration -- even that of President Reagan, the greatest President of my lifetime.

I've always found more constructive ways to use my time. I believe I'm primarily responsible for what goes on in my life, regardless of the party in control.

I don't see a White House shift from one party to another as making much difference in my life, because -- despite the political posturing -- there's not much difference between the Democrats and Republicans in Washington. The bottom line for all of them seems to be being in position to win the next re-election bid, principles be damned.

That said, I'm a bit ticked off by what I've been hearing. President Bush, booed and serenaded with the "Nah-nah-nah-nah, nah-nah-nah-nah, hey, hey, hey, good-bye" song from the crowd?

Then, the Rev. Lowery praying for the time when "white will embrace what is right." Uh, Rev. Lowery, EVERY race needs to embrace what is right.

This, from the crowd claiming to want to end the partisanship in politics, but has spent the last eight years attacking the Bush administration at every opportunity.

Nice start.

When Sens. Kennedy and Byrd had to leave the luncheon with medical issues, one of the stories reporting it had a long list of comments, some critical of the senators' histories, some critical of those criticizing the senators.

In some folks' eyes, Republicans are fair game and any criticism of Democrats is unfair.

I consider myself a conservative, not a Republican or Democrat, and vote on issues, not party affiliation.

I didn't vote for him, still I hope President Obama is the best president we've ever had. But with his planned policies and some of the folks he associates with, I don't see it happening.

Does that make me a racist or mean-spirited?

No comments: